17 June 2009

In My Dream...




I had been fighting with my rat
A tidy blond creature,
White whiskers and smooth tail
She shared her mind with me,
Like talking, but no words, just
A complex barrage of motion and thought
Always inside me, pushing deep

I had to get her home, but
She wouldn't make the trip,
"Too far and dangerous!"
I cupped my hands around her, tight
"No! No!" She started screaming
Biting the web of my thumbs

I pressed around her thumping chest
And she started ripping at the flesh
Of my palm, scrabbling claws into fingertips
Hands couldn't let go of her!
Bloody and cramped, my grip
Streaked red eyes and frothing breath
I had to get her HOME!

I squeezed her tight in one hand, to open doors,
Run up stairs, people stared, disturbed, blurted
What am I doing?
I can't explain, she was screaming too loud
Broke her own tiny shoulder against my clench
I heaved myself against the crushing doors of a bus
Trying to balance and hiding my stinging hands
In my belly, my dark suit staining with blood

Up the stairs I felt her slippery, sticky fur - matted wet
Heart rattled in my hands, twisting and turning
Against my left hand as my grip
Slipped off the knob and left blood

I finally dropped her inside a glass jar,
Where she spasmed and pounded herself
A bloody mess against the side
Screaming against me, against the dream
Not caring at all that we were home

1 comment:

Sarah Myles said...

Thank you for sharing this, John. ...it's fascinating, poignant and sad.

The part on the bus... trying to hide... the mention of the suit... that you did not fully explain the suit brought a fun combination of mystery but at the same time knowing.

Great stuff! Post more!